I just love this time of year. But what I love most about summer is being able to slow down, spend time with the family and relax. As much fun as summer is, it can be a time to get off track. Off track with our goals, off track in our businesses, and off track with our routines. Don't be so hard on yourself if this sounds like you - I am so guilty of this too.
I make it a point despite the summer season to integrate yoga into my daily life. I know what you are saying, "But Erin, you own a studio!" True, but I am no different. I too have to make it a point to integrate yoga into my daily routine. So here are a few of my practices.
1. Early to Bed, Early to rise. Yes, even though it's summer. I still maintain a regular sleep routine. Then, I begin my day with meditation. I prefer this first thing as it sets the tone for my day - plus, the kiddos are still sleeping, so it's very peaceful and quiet.
2. Wake up and do a quick morning yoga sequence before you even change out of your pjs.
3. Do yoga at your desk or in the car. If you are home with the kiddos in the summer like I am - I sneak in some Yoga time while they are watching a movie or playing with a friend.
4. Practice deep breathing. Deep breathing relaxes your body, brings oxygen to your brain, calms your heart rate and soothes the nervous system. Plus, you can do it anywhere!
5. Add a yoga sequence right before you go to bed. This ends your day on a good note and your body will enjoy the sense of peace, no matter how the day unfolded.
Be sure to carve out some time for meditation and relaxation this summer. The key here is to find simple ways to incorporate yoga into your daily life. And of course, I almost forgot...stop into the studio for a class. You are worth the practice and balance yoga brings to your life.